We walk up 287 Bodai stairs to the Kuon-ji Temple in Minobu. The stairs, built later in 1632, resemble the ones from the Aztec pyramids. Founded by Nichiren in 1281, it is today the head temple of Nichiren Shū. Locally it is referred to as the Minobu-san Temple, after the mountain upon which it is built.
Today we visit the Kuon-ji (久遠寺), which is a major Buddhist temple in Yamanashi Prefecture Hidden away far into the mountains of Yamanashi, it is locally referred to as the Minobu-san Temple, after the mountain upon which it is built Reaching it itself is a challenge as we traveled almost two hours from Lake Tanuki, on the local train and then had to take a bus to the base of the mountain, but as if that was not enough, to reach the temple there is the ultimate challenge of climbing 287 Bodaitei steps Brief History of Kuon-ji Minobusan Kuon-ji (久遠寺) is the head temple of the Nichiren shu (Nichiren sect)